About Steven C. James
Email address: Steven C. James | Phone: 915-543-3234
Proud to be an El Paso Attorney
I appreciate a complex problem, because I enjoy the challenge of solving it. I began my legal career with Mesa Petroleum Co. and T. Boone Pickens, Jr., one of six lawyers in Amarillo, TX working on multimillion dollar matters. I then joined a large law firm out of El Paso, Texas, running its Midland, Texas offices. I moved to El Paso in 1988 and joined a small litigation firm. In January 1995, I went out on my own as a sole practitioner.
Areas of practice
Admitted to practice
- Texas, 1979
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Western and Northern Districts of Texas
- Board certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Civil trial law
- Consumer and commercial law
- AV® Peer Review RatingsSM by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Texas Monthly Super Lawyers
- Martindale-Hubbell® Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers™
- University of Texas School of Law, J.D., 1979
- New Mexico State University, B. Acctg., with honors, 1976
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Blue Key
- State Bar of Texas, Board of Directors, Section Representative, 2010-2013
- State Bar of Texas, Pattern Jury Charges Committee, Business & Employment, 2013-present
- El Paso Bar Association—President, 2004-2005
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas—Construction Law Section
- State Bar College Board of Directors—Chair, 2007-2008
- State Bar Consumer and Commercial Law Council—Chair, 2005-2006
- El Paso Trial Lawyers Association—Past President
- West Texas Employment Lawyers Association—Chair, 2001
- Home Schooling, Bill of Rights, State Bar of Texas, May 2016, Austin, Texas.
- New Civil Litigation Rules, State Bar of Texas, Annual Meeting June 2014, Austin, TX
- New Anti-SLAPP Statute, State Bar of Texas, Business Disputes Seminar, September 2014, Houston, Texas.
- Consumer Law Update, 181h Annual Civil Trial Seminar, E1 Paso Bar Association, February 2014, San Diego, California.
- Consumer Law Update, Summer School, Texas State Bar College, July 2014, Galveston, Texas.
- "Winning in Arbitration: A Panel Discussion," Advanced Consumer and Commercial Law Seminar, State Bar of Texas, November 2008, Dallas, Texas
- "Attacking 'As Is' Clauses," Consumer and Commercial Law Seminar, State Bar of Texas, September 2007, Houston, Texas
- “Consumer Law: Hey, the Little Guy Still Has Rights in Texas,” State Bar College Spring Training, 2006 (Texas Bar Continuing Legal Education)
- "Lawyers Are Heroes," State Bar Fall 2006 (Texas Bar Continuing Legal Education, Consumer and Commercial Law Course)
- "Arbitration," State Bar Fall 2006 (Texas Bar Continuing Legal Education, Consumer and Commercial Law Course)
For your arbitration, mediation, and litigation needs in civil, commercial and consumer law, contact me in my El Paso, TX office at 915-543-3234 or contact me online.